My Hair Love Story - An Ode to my Hair

My short, natural hair













Our relationship has always been on and off
Like the sweet sour taste of Agbalumo
Like the light switch at my Parent's balcony in the Village house
Useful and sweet at night
And a saddening waste in the day

I had always wished you could get curled up with me
Sprawled, with your tips touching the swell of my breast
Eagerly and wanting
with me gently brushing it away
Wish, was all there was
If only wish would colour my reality

I knew it was all my fault
Even with words unspoken
I see it..... I feel it
When you were vulnerable, I manipulated you.
When you wanted me to show you off, I covered you up
I was ashamed of you. You were never enough for me

I tried to mold you to the "perfect one"
with each twisting and turning and taunting
With grease and grit, like the Lagos bus conductor on a Monday morning traffic
When you acted well, I opened you up to the world
and when you didn't, I kept a veil on you

I called you "short and ugly",
not strong enough, not good enough

When others could wrap their hands around you, I couldn't
Even my family didn't accept you
Mum said "cut it short"
Dad said "you need fresh air"
My brother couldn't even meet my gaze
Only my sister was different
Oh, how I love her

Ahhh, you complained!!
In actions, I saw you grow limp and weak...
But see now, I am a changed being
I have many regrets, many " had I knowns"
I feel close to you now, even connected

For we have passed through tunnels and flown on air
We have seen blue days and good days
and I can dare say "I love you"
Because you love me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faux-Intellectuals and How to Pepper Dem. A Smart Woman View of Big Brother Nigeria 2019

Context: The Missing Plug in Target Audience Conversion,

How One Outdoor Event Transformed Duch Digital Media's Employee Engagement